As an employer how do you accommodate employees with disabled children? Alex Rook, Associate Solicitor at legal firm Irwin Mitchell suggests:
- Be understanding and flexible where possible – small things such as access to a telephone in case of emergencies can make a big difference to someone caring for a disabled child.
- Consider providing an advice pack for carers or a carers’ policy.
- Have an open approach to flexible working arrangements where possible.
- Where flexible arrangements are available, clearly worded policies will help employees understand the options available to them.
- In larger organisations provision of a counselling service may be possible.
- Encouraging understanding amongst the workforce generally using training and policies and zero tolerance of any form of discrimination.