How does Workplace Giving work?

Want to know more about Workplace Giving? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions…

If there is anything else you would like to know then please call the Workplace Giving helpline on 0208 381 2479.

How does Workplace Giving work?

It’s very easy.  You complete the online form and this comes through to us.  We make sure that your company operates a scheme that allows you to give to us straight from your pay and we notify your payroll department that you would like to set up a regular donation to us in this way.

If you can’t give to us through your pay, as your company does not operate the scheme (some still don’t!), then we will contact you to let you know.

If I decide to take part in Workplace Giving and fill out a form today, how long will it be before the first deduction is taken from my pay?

Usually it will start on the next payroll day, but if you are signing up towards the end of the month deductions are likely to start the next but one payroll day. 

How do I know that you have received my donation?

Your donation is very important to us and we will write to thank you.  We may also send you updates on our work if you have indicated that you are happy to receive these. You will know the deduction has started as it will appear on your payslip.

Is there a minimum or maximum amount I have to give?

No, there’s no upper or lower limit, however, we recommend that you give at least £5 gross per month.

How is Workplace Giving different to a Direct Debit (Gift Aid)?

Workplace Giving is taken straight from your gross (pre-tax) pay so there is no need for us to claim any tax back through Gift Aid, which saves us additional admin costs. If you are a 40% or 50% taxpayer, Workplace Giving is the only way we can automatically receive all your tax on a donation.

Can I stop giving when I want?

Yes, by notifying your payroll department directly.

What happens to my Workplace Giving deduction if I leave my job?

Workplace Giving automatically stops when you leave your job, but we hope that you will continue to give to us at your next job, you will need to set this up again as your donation is not transferable.

Is there an administration fee?

Yes, but only a small one.  Your employer will use a Payroll Giving Agent (like a charity bank) to distribute you and your colleagues monies.  The Payroll Giving Agents are charities that need to make a small charge to cover their operating costs. Some employers pay this fee on your behalf so we receive your full donation.

If your employer doesn’t pay the fee, the Payroll Giving Agent will deduct it from your donation before passing it on to us. This will be between a 2% and 4% charge..

I pay tax at the higher rate of 40% or 50%, how does this affect tax relief on payroll donations?

You will receive tax relief at the highest rate of tax you pay – each pound you give will generate £1.66 if you are 40% or £2 if you are 50% tax payer.

Can I still give through my pension?

Yes, if you receive an occupational pension and your pension provider deducts tax through the PAYE system, you are still eligible for the scheme.  Simply ask your occupational pension provider to make a donation from your pension before tax has been deducted.

What should I do if my employer doesn’t currently have a scheme?

If you aren’t sure that they do, fill in the form anyway and we will let you know if they don’t and perhaps we can suggest to them that they introduce one.

Alternatively call the Workplace Giving helpline on 0208 381 2479.

Who can I contact if I need any further information?

We hope to have answered all your questions, but if there is anything else please call the Workplace Giving helpline on 0208 381 2479.

Share this page